Step 1: Develop Idea
- Know the field and assess the competition.
- Choose a topic driven by a strong hypothesis.
Step 2: Select Potential Sponsor
- Verify that topic is compatible with agency funding interests.
- Consider agency limits on budget, # of applicants and geographic area.
Step 3: Submit Notice of Intent Form to Develop a Sponsored Project Proposal to the ORSP.
- Submit this form through your Department Chair and Dean to ORSP. ORSP will obtain approval from the Assistant VP of ORSP once idea has been developed and sponsor selected
Step 4: Develop Proposal
- Allow plenty of time for this important activity.
- Get input from colleagues.
- Use correct forms, follow instructions and complete all parts of application. (ORSP can help with the required forms.)
- Keep Department Chair and ORSP informed of the progress.
Step 5: Submit Proposal & Authorization Form to Office of Research & Sponsored Programs
- ORSP will obtain signature of Authorized Institutional Representative and will submit to agency.
Step 6: Submit Proposal to Sponsor
- Through Grants.gov
- Mail or hand carry to ensure delivery by any posted deadline.
Step 7: Follow-Through with Sponsor
- Provide additional information, as requested.
If project is funded:
- Conduct the project
(keep sponsor and UHD informed of progress or problems)
- Deliver reports on time
- Follow up with renewal proposal
If project is not funded:
- Request reviews
(These can be very helpful in a resubmission)
- Revise and resubmit or start over
Page maintained by Office of Sponsored Programs
Last updated or reviewed on 1/22/13