College of Business Scholarships
Scholarships Awarded to COB Students by External Entities
Each externally-funded scholarship will have its own unique guidelines in terms of criteria, frequency and timing of awards, the application and forms, deadlines and submission processes.
Deadlines vary and are set by the organizations awarding the scholarships.
External scholarship opportunities:
The Alesco Group Scholarship
Two $1,000 scholarships per year will be awarded to support mothers who are changing their lives through education.
- Be a United States Citizen
- Be a Female Student with Children
- Declared Major in the College of Business
- Achieved Junior status
- Minimum GPA of 2.5
- Completion of The Alesco Group Scholarship Application
- Completion of one-page description that includes a brief background and career/business plans after graduation.
Deadline: 5:00 p.m., March 31, 2015, to:
UHD College of Business
320 N. Main St. (“Shea Building”)
Houston, TX 77002
American Women's Society of Certified Public Accountants Scholarship
Will award three scholarships of $2,500 each.
- Be a United States Citizen;
- Be a declared accounting student at UHD;
- Have completed 20 hours towards a degree; and
- Have completed 12 hours of accounting;
Deadline: Submit application by May 27, 2014.
Candidates will be evaluated based on their academic performance, financial need, extracurricular activities and achievements, community involvement, and professional recommendations. Scholarship Letter
Candidates should return a completed application along with official transcripts and recommendation letters. Please include your e-mail and phone number on the application. If you have any questions, emaill Patricia Sendelbach, CPA with "AWSSCPA Scholarship" in the subject line.
Larry G. Jones Scholarship - The Deloitte Foundation
- Are enrolled in UHD full-time
- Demonstrate financial need
- Pursue the study of an Accounting Major or
- Are working towards a professional certification in Accounting
- Maintain a minimum of 3.25 GPA
Application must be filled out, two reference letters, biographical statement, including financial need, and returned to FAEIS department located in Shea Street Building B410. Deadline: noon, October 31, 2014
Scholarships are renewable and shall be awarded annually to provide financial aid and assistance to undergraduate students who fulfill the criteria.
Fifth-Year Accounting Scholarship
Award: Minimum Award $3,000 (Fall $1,500/Spring $1,500)
Maximum Award $6,000 (Fall $3,000/Spring $3,000)
Based on Financial Aid need, which is determined by submitting a FAFSA.
- Resident of Texas;
- Complete and file a FAFSA application, which is available at http:www.fafsa.ed.gov/ and demonstrate financialunmet need of at least $3,000 – NOTE: student(s) will not be awarded, if need is less than 1/2 the cost of attendance;
- Must have filed an Application of Intent with the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy ($50 fee);
- Complete an Application for the Fifth-year Accounting Student Scholarship, available below;
- Enrolled in at least a half-time basis (6 credit hours or more);
- Satisfactory Academic Progress in the student’s program of study and meets the scholastic ability and performance standards as measured in the cumulative grade point average; not less than a 2.0 GPA
- A cumulative grade point average that is equal to or greater than the grade point average required for graduation (equal to or greater than a 2.0);
- Have registered for the Selective Service or are exempt from this requirement;
- Completed at least 120 credit hours of college work, including at least 15 hours of upper level accounting;
- Must need fewer than 30 semester hours to complete the 150 semester hour;
- Student has not received this award in a prior year; and
- Not taken the CPA examination in Texas or another jurisdiction.
- Awarded student is required to reimburse the Board, on demand, for all funds the student receives from this program, if the student does not take at least one section of the CPA examination with 3 years of submitting the Application of Intent.
Scholarship Application Process:
Must demonstrate financial need completing the 2014/2015 FASFA and submitting a valid SAR to UHD by deadline, must have financial aid need of at least $3000 to qualify. (Not eligible if your need is below the minimum requirement.)
Submit an Application of Intent to take the CPA examination to the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy (applications cannot be considered until a copy of the Acknowledgement from TSBPA is submitted to the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office for review. The TSBA’s web link to access the Application of Intent is listed below:www.tsbpa.state.tx.us/exam-qualification/applications-application-of-intent.html
Submit an Application for the Fifth-year Accounting Student Scholarship Program to the College of Business Administrator to complete Section 2.
Submit a copy of your Acknowledgement Notice from the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy, including your Application after Sections 1 and 2 have been completed by you and the COB to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.
||February 28th or sooner, if funds are exhausted.
Financial Executives International
The Financial Executives International Scholarship Foundation provides an annual scholarship for full-time college students in the fields of accounting or finance from Southeast Texas area accredited colleges and universities. For the 2014-2015 academic year, the amount to be awarded is $4,000. It is intended that this award will assist the student in completing remaining semester(s) of their degree program.
- Nominee will have achieved at least a junior status.
- Enrolled in the School of Business, majoring in Accounting or Finance.
- Minimum grade point average of 3.5/4.0 in their major course of study and a 3.5/4.0 grade point average or better overall.
- Active participant in campus and community service work.
- Deserving students without significant other scholarships that can demonstrate financial need.
- Student is a U.S. citizen.
- A graduation date beyond May 2015.
- Attendance at the Scholarship Award Ceremony in February 2015 is a prerequisite to receiving the award.
To be considered for nomination for this year’s scholarship from Financial Executives International, candidate will need to submit a complete FEI Scholarship Application and optional release form to the FAEIS Department (B410-B) no later than close of business, Friday, November 14, 2014 to the attention of:
Dr. Chu Nguyen, FAEIS Department Chair
College of Business
One Main Street, Suite B-410B (Shea Street Building)
Houston, Texas 77002-1001
Grocers Supply Operations Scholarship Program
$750 per semester and can be awarded for up to 2 consecutive semesters at the time of selection.
- Minimum GPA 2.50
- Declared related degree at UHD in Supply Chain Management, Marketing, Management, or General Business
- Earned at least 60 hours credit
- At least 20 required credits remaining
- Enrolled in a minimum of 12 course hours
- Must have a minimum of 2 years work experience (any type that can be verified) prior to submitting
- Must be available to work in a paid part-time position-16 to 20 hours per week-in a position that will provide relevant experience (class schedules will be accommodated) during the semester(s) scholarship is provided. Pay rate will be $20.00-$24.00 per hour depending on qualifications
- Able to provide proof of eligibility for employment in the U.S. if selected for scholarship
Recipients may apply for this scholarship more than once and can receive this scholarship in conjunction with other scholarships.
Scholarship Application and Selection Process:
Deadline: July 1, 2015, for Fall 2015 semester
Deadline: December 1, 2014, for Spring 2015 semester
Application packet to be submitted to Tracy Davis, Director, Center for Retail Management, University of Houston Downtown. Documents may be submitted via email attachments to email@example.com or delivered to 320 North Main Street Houston, Texas 77002, Suite B-446 (UHD College of Business) Required Documents include:
- Complete attached scholarship application and company application.
- Attach copy of Transcript through completed semesters and provide a list of courses in progress.
- Two letters of Reference, preferably from previous supervisor or teacher from a previous class.
- Write or Type (must be easy to read) a brief essay explaining your academic and career goals-no more than 300 words.
All applications received will be evaluated for relevance to our company and industry. Top candidates (up to 4 candidates) will be scheduled for a panel interview. Interviews are expected to take place:
- During the week of December 9 (for the spring semester)
- During the week of July 8 (for the fall semester)
Up to 2 candidates may be selected to receive the scholarship. If no appropriate candidate is identified, the company is not obligated to award a scholarship. The number of scholarships to be awarded will be evaluated annually.
- Relevance of Education, Training or Experience
- Academic or other relevant achievements
- Alignment of applicant’s personal career goals and the needs of our company
- Financial Need
Selected Candidates who are awarded the scholarship and part-time position must be willing to complete a company job application, satisfactorily complete a post-offer drug test, and criminal background check.
Houston CPA Society
Insurance Council of Texas Education Foundation Scholarships
The Insurance Council of Texas (ICT), the largest insurance carrier association in the nation with over 500 member companies, created and funds the ICT Education Foundation.
UHD insurance and risk management majors who are interested in being considered must:
- Send an updated resume and letter describing how the scholarship award will be used and its benefit to them to the Insurance and Risk Management Center director by March 1.
The director reviews the letters and resumes and nominates candidates to the foundation’s board of directors, which notifies the director of its final decision.
The awards are announced and scholarship recipients are invited to a lunch to meet with ICT Education Foundation members in the spring semester. ICT assembles an electronic scholarship recipient resume book, which is distributed to its membership for career recruitment purposes. Scholarship recipients are also invited to ICT’s annual symposium in Austin in July where they are honored with ICT scholarship recipients from other Texas universities during a luncheon program. The foundation also provides program grants to assist with student travel expenses to the symposium.
Ritchie-Jennings Memorial Scholarship Program
Through the Ritchie-Jennings Memorial Scholarship, the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners Foundation supports the education of students who have an interest in pursuing a career in fraud examination. The scholarship provides an opportunity for students to advance their education and anti-fraud career paths. Many of these outstanding and deserving students go on to become Certified Fraud Examiners.
The Ritchie-Jennings Memorial scholarship award amounts are $10,000, $5,000, $2,500, and $1,000. Scholarships are awarded in U.S. dollars and include a one-year ACFE Student Associate membership. Awards will be paid directly to the award recipient’s university.
Ritchie-Jennings Memorial Scholarship details, criteria, and application available at http://www.acfe.com/scholarship.aspx
Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants
The Accounting Education Foundation of TSCPA has established a program to provide scholarship assistant to accounting students who plan to become Texas Certified Public Accountants and enter the accounting profession.
To be considered for a TSCPA scholarship, a student must:
- Attend a college or university which participates in Accounting Education Foundation programs and be nominated by the chairperson of the accounting department of the university.
- Have satisfactorily completed at least 110 semester credit hours of college-level courses by August 31. A recipient will normally be classified as a 5th year student or graduate student in the fall semester or quarter and graduating no earlier than May 2015.
- Be an accounting major with the intent of becoming a Texas Certified Public Accountant and entering the accounting profession upon graduation. The student is expected to be enrolled as a full-time college student (at least 12 semester credit hours each semester for undergraduate students/at least 9 semester credit hours each semester for graduate students).
- File an Application of Intent to sit for the CPA Exam with the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy.
- Have an Accounting GPA of 3.6 or more on a 4.0 scale.
- Have completed 21 semester credit hours of accounting courses required of accounting majors with a grade of B or better in each course by August 31.
- Submit an official cumulative college transcript through the end of fall of the current academic school year to include semester or quarter hours earned and cumulative GPA. If the applicant has attended more than one university, the cumulative college transcript should show grades and credit received for all previous schools. If such transcript does not show a previous record, then a separate transcript (or transcripts) will be required.
FOR THE CHAIRPERSON AND THE STUDENT:
The chairperson of the department must nominate the applicant. Official transcript and evidence of filing an Application of Intent should be sent to the Accounting Education Foundation of TSCPA, 14651 Dallas Parkway, Suite 700, Dallas, Texas 75254-7408. Deadline for receiving applications and all supporting documents is October 15, 2014. Each college may nominate at least two students. Awards will be made during the fall semester and the funds will be sent to the school for disbursement to the student.Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
The application link is: https://secure.tscpa.org/aef/aefnewapp.asp
Transportation Club of Houston
- Completed Application
- Certified copy of transcripts
- Written essay
- Active participant in community service.
- TCH scholarships may be awarded on an annual basis.
- TCH scholarships will be awarded to students in transportation and related fields such as warehousing, supply chain logistics and international business and logistics.
- Students are eligible at the start of the second semester level of their freshman year.
Visit http://transclubhou.org/scholarships/ for scholarship criteria and application
Page maintained by College of Business Web Specialist
Last updated or reviewed on 3/24/15