Field Experience Information
About the Program
Field Experience is an internship credit for students in the Spanish bachelor’s degree program. The customizable program gives students practical experience and networking opportunities in the local community.
Students must meet the following prerequisites before enrolling in the Field Experience course:
- Complete 60 cumulative credit hours, with a minimum of 6 hours earned at UHD.
- Attain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- Declare a major in Spanish at UHD
- Complete either SPAN 3320 or SPAN 3302
How to Apply
1. Find an internship.
- Meet with the program coordinator or follow periodic e-mail leads sent by Spanish faculty.
- Research local institutions and inquire directly about current or potential internships.
- Visit Career Services for information about potential placements.
- International students must receive approval from the Coordinator of International Admissions before accepting an internship.
2. Submit your proposal to the degree coordinator for approval.
- Send an e-mail to the coordinator, briefly explaining the details of the internship, ways you will use Spanish on the job and how the experience fits into your career plan.
- An internship must:
- Be relevant to your degree program and future goals.
- Take place in a professional environment (not a customer service position).
- Not be a position in which you work for relatives or a position you have previously held at a particular institution.
3. Complete a Field Experience Application from the Career Services office.
- Complete the form entirely and ask your on-site supervisor to complete page 2.
- Obtain an approval signature from the department chair
- Submit the form, along with a current resume and college transcript, to the program coordinator, William Nowak, Ph.D.
4. Enroll in SPAN 4380
- Upon approval of your application, you will be granted permission in the UHD system to register for SPAN 4380.
- Register and pay for this three-credit course.
The degree coordinator and on-site supervisor will evaluate your performance throughout the internship experience. You will earn a Satisfactory (S) grade for the course if you meet these requirements:
- Complete 120 hours of satisfactory work, as verified by the site supervisor.
- Attend and actively participate in all required meetings
- Complete an internship journal, written in Spanish (one page per week of internship, chronicling your experiences)
- Record 4- to 5-minute speech discussing your internship experience, to be included in your Spanish portfolio.
CHSS Web Tech.
Last updated or reviewed on 8/20/14