Social Sciences > Internship Marketplace
810 Marston Drive
Houston, Texas 77019
The Center is a private, not for profit agency located in downtown Houston, which provides services for more than 600 adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. The Center offers a wide array of programs including education, vocational training and job placement services, three different residential options representing both urban and rural living environments, special programs designed to meet the needs of older adults, and a variety of therapeutic support services.
The Cullen Residence Hall is home to nearly 140 men and women. In addition to private living quarters, the Cullen complex provides a dining room, a snack bar, an on-site bank, a Laundromat, a gift shop, health and dental services, and housekeeping and transportation services.
Description of Internship
Experience may include but is not limited to:
- Planning and implementing activities to keep residents active.
- Providing positive behavior support to residents.
- Implementing behavior programs developed by Behavior Services to increase adaptive skills.
- Learning the fundamentals of behavior and behavior analysis.
- Conducting direct observations of behavior.
- Learning about the functions of behavior.
- Learning about methods for behavior change.
Criteria for Interns
- Psychology Majors
- Creative individuals ready for hands on experience working with adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Availability Monday-Friday, Minimum of 5 hours per week.
- Your main supervisor/mentor on site will be Kari Rote, behavior therapist. Kari received her B.A. in Psychology at St. Edward’s University in May 2008. She is currently pursuing a M.A. in Behavior Analysis at the University of Houston-Clear Lake. Between 10% and 20% of your time will be spent in direct contact with the behavior therapist, so it is crucial that you be available during some portion of her working hours (6 AM -2 PM). You will be receiving additional supervision from the Director of Behavior Services, Licensed Psychologist, Dr. Deborah Grossett, Ph.D., BCBA-D.
- All interns will be subjected to a background check prior to beginning direct contact with our individuals served.
- Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and to email@example.com
- Attach a resume to the email.
- In the body of the email or attached please include the following information:
- The hours you are seeking.
- The experience you are seeking to gain.
- Any requirements from your university concerning the internship.
- Any questions you have concerning the internship position.
Feel free to contact me on my office number at (713) 525-8454.
Page maintained by CHSS Web Tech.
Last updated or reviewed on