Bachelor of Social Work
All students who wish to apply to the UHD Bachelor of Social Work Program must:
- Complete an admissions application
- Submit the application in hard copy format to the UHD Social Work Program office in person, via mail or via fax. The mailing/delivery address and fax number is:
University of Houston-Downtown
Attn: BSW Program
1002 Commerce Street, Suite C 345
Houston, Texas 77002
Committee members must review all applications. Deadlines for applications are:
Fall semester: The last day to submit an application is May 15th. Applications received after May 15th may not be processed until mid-August.
Spring semester: The last day to submit an application is November 1st. Applications received after November 1st may not be processed until mid-January.
Complete application packets include:
Details for each application component
Students must complete and sign a Social Work Program Application Form.
- Each student must provide a copy of official transcripts for all colleges/universities ever attended, including UHD. For courses taken at UHD, students may print out a copy of their Grade Report from e-services in lieu of a transcript. Paper copies are required as part of the application packet.
- Students are responsible for ensuring they meet the GPA requirement and recording this on the application form. Each student must have a 2.5 GPA for their most recent 30 hours of college credit hours taken in the past five years (UHD will not count GPA for courses taken more than five years ago).
Two Completed Recommendation Forms
- Completed recommendation forms from two references (includes past or present employers, teachers/professors, community or worship leaders, and/or supervisors of volunteer activities). It is in each student's interest to list a reference who knows them in an academic or professional (employment or volunteer services) context so that she/he can legitimately speak to that student's professional or academic skills.
- It is recommended that students do not use friends or co-workers as recommenders, but if a student cannot locate professors or supervisors, these are acceptable.
- Recommendation forms are required, but letters do not have to be submitted with the application package. It is the quality of each recommendation that is important.
Each student's essay should address the following:
- The reason for selecting the social work major; long-term academic and career goals (does not have to be specific)
- Personal attributes that will contribute to student academic and professional success in social work
- Any work, volunteer, or life experience that has shaped the decision to enter the field
Essays should be typed, double-spaced, at least three pages in length and should comply with academic standards in writing. This essay is an opportunity for applicants to demonstrate the strength of their writing. The ability to convey an argument, as well as the ability to write according to academic standards, including but not limited to, essay structure, grammar, spelling, and sentence structure, are all important elements assessed by the review committee.
Students should address the reason or reasons for their interest in the field as well as any particular strengths that will make them effective social workers.
- Students may also consider addressing weakness, if any, in their application. For example, if students had a semester or more of low academic performance in the past, it is appropriate to contextualize this, and demonstrate how it served as a learning experience, and to also add what has changed so they can now be academically successful.
- Students are cautioned about self-disclosure and should only do so if it makes a wider argument for entry into the program. Students are not expected to disclose intimate details of their life. If a student chooses to disclose a personal problem or event from the past, applicants should make it clear how the issue has been resolved so that they may now succeed in the program. Any such discussion of a problem or trauma should be brief and should focus on how this experience informed them in ways to be a good social worker.
- Applicants should understand that committee members will focus on the quality of each student's writing for evaluation of their application.
Once committee members complete their review of applications, students will be notified of their application status.
Students with questions about the application process can contact Stephen Wernet, Ph.D., who is the Director of the Bachelor of Social Work Program. His email and phone number is: email@example.com 713-221-8660.