Alternative Certification Program
Our program is composed of three phases:
All candidates will comply with the Teacher Educator Code of Ethics (TAC 19.7.§247)
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited university or collegewith
- 2.5 GPA or higher in the last 60 hours of college level coursework.
- For secondary certification, candidates also need 24 hours in an area of specialization with a 2.5 GPA in the area of specialization
- THEA scores or exemption approval. Score requirements are:
- Math 230
- Reading 230
- Writing 220
- Submit ACP Application to College of Public Service Advising Office, C-420 by July 1 for fall admission and November 1 for spring admission.
- Submit a receipt from the UHD Cashier for the ACP Application Processing Fee ($50).
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. These transcripts must be in a sealed and stamped envelope. If you are a UHD graduate applying for the program, you must request your transcript from the university.
- Submit three (3) ACP Reference Forms completed by professional references.
- Admission to the University of Houston-Downtown.
||TExES Content Exam
||TExES EC-12 PPR Exam
|EC-6 Elementary Generalist
|EC-6 Bilingual Generalist
||Test 192 BTLPT - Test 190
Social Studies - Test 132
History - Test 133
Life Science - Test 138
Physical Science - Test 137
Science Composite - Test 136
Math - Test 135
English Language Arts & Reading - Test 131
Certification Area Flowcharts
Please note: Teacher education programs are developed in response to the Texas Legislature, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board and State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC) regulations and guidelines. As state guidelines change, program revisions may occur. Any new rulings or changes made by any of these entities in interpreting the rulings on educator certification may supersede the requirements of a s student’s existing certification plan, degree plan, or post-bac certification plan. It is the responsibility of each student to stay apprised of any changes that may affect his/her plan.
Phase 1: Pre-Internship Candidacy
- Applicant is admitted to the program.
- Candidate successfully completes required university coursework which includes 60 hours of fieldwork (6 hours per week) in an assigned public school. (See certification area flowchart for required university coursework.)
- Candidate passes the appropriate TExES content exam for certification area.
- Candidate pays fees associated with university coursework, tuition, books, and certification exams.
- Candidate requests a Letter of Eligibility to secure employment for a one-year teaching internship in a Texas Education Agency accredited school.
Phase 2: Securing Employment for Internship
- Candidate obtains a contract or "letter of intent to hire" from a public school district.
- Candidate applies online with Texas Education Agency (TEAL) for a one-year initial probationary teaching certificate ($55).
- Candidate completes required university paperwork for internship.
- Department of Urban Education recommends candidate for probationary teaching certificate.
Phase 3: Internship
- The internship is for one school year.
- An intern is the "teacher of record" with all rights, privileges, and responsibilities of any other teacher in Texas [Texas Education Code 13.306(2) and 13.037(a)] and must abide by the Teacher Code of Ethics (TAC 19.7.§247).
- Candidate pays to UHD a $4,000 internship fee (payment plan options available) and a mentor fee to the hiring school district (cost and payment options depend on hiring school district).
- Each candidate is supported by a mentor teacher on his/her campus and a UHD field supervisor.
- During the one-year internship, candidates must:
- Attend required professional development seminars/workshops
- Pay fees for required TExES exams
- Pass the TExES EC-12 Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities exam (if not previously passed)
- Successfully complete state and school district appraisal requirements
- Be recommended for certification by the school principal, school mentor, UHD supervisor, and UHD ACP Director
- Submit an e-portfolio for the internship year
Last updated or reviewed on 3/21/14