- On July 1998, Houston PREP celebrated its tenth anniversary. Dr. Manuel Berriozabal,
founder of the TexPREP attended the function. Former and current PREP students, teachers and
former coordinators were present. Dr. Alo, on behalf of CCSDS and UHD awarded 20 scholarships
totaling over $20,000.
- In 1998, the Pre-College Award for Excellence in Mathematics, Science, Engineering,
and Technology was awarded to the CCSDS. The grant by NASA Headquarters in Washington, D.C. totaling
$300,000 over three years was awarded to CCSDS to enhance PREP by:
- Extending the curriculum from three to four years
- Integrating science, mathematics and technology in the fourth year curriculum
- Establishing additional sites
- The first annual Engineering Days were held on July 13th and 14th. Ms. Lupita Armendariz, specialist
in the Equal Opportunity Programs Office at NASA's Johnson Space Center was the guest speaker. Local
Engineering firms including Anadarko Petroleum Corp., Bechtel, Dresser Kellogg, Exxon, Shell
Oil Co. participated in the event. Engineers from Dresser Kellogg supported the activity in which
students worked on special cargo-loading designs using Tinker toys.
- The financial support for PREP was sought from EXXON Corporation.
- Houston, Aldine, and Galena Park Independent School Districts started providing teachers to teach in the
- Houston PREP was selected as a site for Houston Works, which provided stipends for selected students.
- The 1998 Houston PREP Class was composed of Hispanic (31.8%), African-American (47.9%), and women (61.6%)
students who are interested in possible engineering and science professions. The overall Houston PREP
population was 91.4% minority and female students.
- The 1998 Houston PREP follow up survey of former PREP Scholars showed a 99.0% high school graduation rate.
The Survey Results showed that 99.2% are college students or graduate students; Of the college students,
64.0% are minorities; 71.4% are engineering or science majors. Of the college graduates, 69.2% are
engineering or science graduates.
Page maintained by
CST Web Support Technician
Last updated or reviewed on 2/3/11