Skip navigation

Office of Admissions - International Students

International Students

Welcome to the UHD International Admissions website. We are glad you are considering UHD as your university for higher studies. UHD is located in downtown Houston. The fourth largest city in the U.S. with a metropolitan area population of four million, Houston is truly an international city. Its residents, representing a variety of cultures, contribute to Houston's strong international representation in arts, entertainment and commerce.
If you hold a non-immigrant visa, you are classified as an international student. If you have applied for immigrant status, but have not adjusted your status with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), you must also apply for international admissions.


NEW International Applicants Must:

  • Apply for admissions using the Apply Texas Application online!
  • Submit your $60 admissions application fee ($100 for late admissions applications). The application and fee will be valid for a period of one year.

RETURNING International Applicants Must:

  • Apply for readmission using the Application for Readmission.
  • Submit your $60 admissions application fee ($100 for late admissions applications). The application and fee will be valid for a period of one year.


Freshman & Freshman Transfer Students: 

  • Submit official transcripts of secondary school scores, including mark sheets and date of graduation in their original language. A certified English translation of all transcripts must be included if the originals are not in English.
  • Submit Official SAT Scores

Transfer Students:

  • Submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended. If original transcripts are not in English, a certified translation must accompany the original documents. If you attended a college or university outside the United States, your transcripts must be evaluated by a credential evaluation service recognized by UHD prior to applying for admissions to the university.
  • If you are transferring from another college or university in the United States you must submit a Foreign Advisor's Report & Transfer-In Form that has been completed and signed by the foreign student advisor at the previously attended institution. This form must be returned to the Office of Admissions at UHD prior to enrollment.


Submit an Affidavit of Support indicating that a sponsor will be responsible for all of your educational and living expenses.


In order to protect your privacy rights, the office of International Admissions requires that you give written permission specifying the person(s) who may access information concerning the status of your application and/or admission to the University of Houston-Downtown. If you wish to designate someone to have verbal and physical access to this information, please complete the Permission Release Form.


You must provide a certified bank letter indicating that your sponsor is financially capable of meeting your education and living expenses. The bank letter must indicate, either in U.S. dollars or in the local currency, the amount maintained in your sponsors’ bank account(s). The letter must have been issued within the past six months.


A TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of at least 550 for the paper version or 213 for the computer version or 80 for the internet version is required for admission into UHD's academic program.
Students with a TOEFL score of less than 550 may attend the English Language Institute (ELI) prior to beginning academic studies at the university. ELI students study noncredit English classes until they are either recommended by ELI for academic study or achieve the required TOEFL score. Graduates of ELI are able to enroll directly into the academic program at UHD without taking the TOEFL. If you would like to know more about the English Language Institute and its programs, you may click here, call 713-221-8047, or email

Transfer students may be exempt from taking the TOEFL if they have passed 12 or more college-level hours in the United States, including Composition I and II, with a grade of C or better.

Students are exempt from the TOEFL if graduated from a secondary school in one of the following countries: Australia, the Bahamas, Belize, the British Islands, Ghana, Jamaica, Liberia, New Zealand, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Trinidad, the United States, the Virgin Islands, the West Indies or Zimbabwe.

Note: All documents become the property of the university and cannot be returned. The university reserves the right to confirm authenticity of any document submitted.


As an International student you are required to carry health insurance providing at least $50,000 in health coverage and $5,000 in repatriation coverage for the duration of your studies at UHD.

You will be automatically charged a health insurance fee each semester unless you provide evidence of your own coverage.
If you choose to provide your own insurance coverage, you must submit a copy of the policy in English with U.S. dollars as the monetary unit to the Office of Admissions - Coordinator of International Admissions prior to registration each semester.

UHD International Student Health Insurance Guidelines

Nonimmigrant international students will be charged automatically for health insurance until proof of alternate insurance in the form of a letter in English from the insurance company or employer or a copy of their policy is provided. The proof must show the insured’s name, date of coverage, with (1) at least $50,000 in acceptable medical benefits, (2) at least $10,000 for medical evacuation (3) at least $7,500 for repatriation, and (4) deductible not to exceed $500.
If you have insurance from your home country that covers these minimum requirements, you may be eligible for a courtesy insurance waiver.

Courtesy Insurance Waiver Requirements

In order to receive an insurance waiver, you must submit ACCEPTABLE proof of insurance to the Office of International Admissions (Suite N-325) each semester by the waiver deadline (Day of Record). Please see the Academic Calendar for the official day of record information.

Limitations and exclusions should be verified on any personal health insurance policy you may purchase. UNACCEPTABLE insurance policies, may include; but are not limited to, excessive pre-existing conditions clause.
Contact the Office of International Admissions with any questions you may have prior to enrolling in any personal length of coverage for some conditions and/ or excessive pre-existing conditions clause.
Contact the Office of International Admissions with any questions you may have prior to enrolling in any personal health insurance plan. Refund requests may not be accepted by an insurance company in the event your waiver request is denied.

How to Request a Waiver

Submit letter from your policy holder, written in English, showing your name, social security number, monetary values in the United States dollars, and the dates of coverage from the beginning to the end of each semester. You must submit a current insurance card that shows that you have coverage. Waiver requests will not be accepted after the Day of Record.
You must request separate waiver request for each semester in which you are enrolled in classes: Fall, Spring, Summer I, Summer 9 Week, and Summer II. Non-immigrant Student Health Insurance Policy Waiver

UNACCEPTABLE and Late Waiver Requests

Allow plenty of time to verify a personal health insurance policy is ACCEPTABLE prior to enrollment. Failure to submit an ACCEPTABLE waiver request by the day of record will result in automatic enrollment in the Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan.

No deadline reminder will be given and no waiver request will be accepted after the day of record and exceptions will not be approved to and UNACCEPTABLE waiver request.

Insurance Options

Insurance for Students, Inc.
Macori, Inc. – Health Insurance for Students and Scholars


For Information regarding Foreign Student Visas, please visit this U.S. Department of State website.

Concurrent Enrollment

UHD international students who want to apply for concurrent enrollment, please follow the guideline below:

  • Register for at least 6 credit hours with UHD.  The credit hours taken at the visiting institution may not exceed those taken at UHD.
  • Student must be enrolled in at least 12 total hours.


Page maintained by SSEM

Last updated or reviewed on 12/17/14

   Click here to print this page

Find us on Facebook   Follow us on Twitter   Read Skyline   Join us on LinkedIn   News RSS   Events RSS