Skip navigation

Hazlewood  Eligibility

Hazlewood Exemption Elegibility

The Hazlewood Exemption provides funding for most tuition and fees charges. US military veterans must meet several conditions to receive the exemption:


Texas resident upon entering service & prior to course enrollment

minimum 181 days active military duty
Receive honorable discharge or separation
Not in default
of a state or federally guaranteed student loan
Have used
Hazlewood for less than 150 credit hours
all other VA benefits
(i.e., GI Bill or Ch. 30)


This funding excludes property deposit fees, student services fees, and fees for lodging, board, or clothing. The financial aid office will determine eligibility and student accounting verifies the benefit amount.

Dependents children whose parent died as a result of service-related injuries or illness or whose parent became totally disabled for purposes of employability as a result of service-related injury may also qualify for Hazlewood benefits. Please complete the application if you think you qualify.


Hazlewood Exemption Application

The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board requires students receiving the Hazlewood exemption to complete an application available in our office and online.

You will need to submit an application for every semester you plan to use Hazlewood benefits.

  • If you will be a new Hazlewood recipient, want to renew your Hazlewood benefits or want to transfer Hazlewood hours to a dependent, please complete this application.
  • If you are an eligible dependent, please complete this application.


The application deadlines for the 2012 – 2013 academic year are:

Fall 2013:
December 7, 2013
Winter 2013:
January 2, 2014
Spring 2014:
April 28, 2014
May Term 2014:
May 29, 2014
Summer 2014:
August 6, 2014

Please note that it takes at least 2-4 weeks to process your application and notify student accounting to credit your account; it may also take longer for us to process your application during the peak months of August and January. You may want to apply for a tuition loan if we have not processed your application by the time tuition and fees are due so that your classes will not be dropped.


To process your application, we will request a completed Hazlewood application, a copy of your DD214 form, and a VA letter that states you have no benefits remaining.


You can obtain a copy or your DD214 from the National Personnel Records Center. You can confirm your request by calling NPRC at 314-801-0800 (This is not a toll free call).  Be aware that getting a DD214 can take weeks or even months.


The VA letter is available online at You will be required to create an account and submit the request for a letter. If you have any problems or need to talk to a VA representative in Muskogee, please call 1-888-442-4551.


Page maintained by SSEM

Last updated or reviewed on 11/21/13

   Click here to print this page

Find us on Facebook   Follow us on Twitter   Read Skyline   Join us on LinkedIn   News RSS   Events RSS