Billing and Coding Specialist
As a Billing and Coding Specialist, you will accurately record and process data about patients, such as diagnosis and treatment records, insurance information, billing and recording receipt of payments. In this program you will learn how to code a patient’s diagnosis and treatment using ICD-9 and ICD-10, CPT and HCPCS codes and request payment from payers, including insurance companies or individuals, maximizing reimbursement for the provider. You will practice claims submission using Medisoft software and work in an electronic health record. A Billing and Coding Specialist may work in a hospital, doctor’s office, and other healthcare settings. This program is 115 hours in length offered online with live, bi-weekly teleconferences.
Starting pay $15-$20 per hour. Employment of medical records and health information technicians is expected to increase by 20 percent, much faster than the average for all occupations through 2018. Employment growth will result from the increase in the number of medical tests, treatments, and procedures will be performed.
Minimum 18 years of age and high school completion or its equivalent. Admission to the program is open to any interested student who is proficient in keyboarding, has a basic understanding of a word processing computer program (Microsoft Word recommended) and has a command of English grammar and punctuation. Students will be required to have regular access to a PC and the internet, have printing capability and an email address.
Upon completion of this course the student will be able to complete the following:
- List the responsibilities of the billing and coding specialist
- Define the meaning of medical terminology word roots, suffixes, and prefixes
- Recognize and understand basic medical terms
- Identify and decipher medical abbreviations
- Spell and pronounce basic medical terminology
- Analyze unfamiliar terms using the knowledge of word roots, suffixes and prefixes
- Understand the confidentiality issues in the transmission of patient health information
- Describe the intake process from telephone call to claim submission
- Understand HIPAA compliance as it relates to the healthcare practice
- Understand legal and confidentiality issues that affect the billing and coding specialist
- Demonstrate the ability to maintain an electronic health record (EHR)
- Utilize proper methods of coding and reimbursement in the EHR.
- Apply the basic steps in coding diagnoses using the ICD-9/ICD-10 coding systems
- Demonstrate knowledge of use of proper CPT coding
- Explain the basic format of the CPT coding system
- Accurately code inpatient and outpatient surgical procedures using CPT coding
- Understand the proper use of HCPCS coding and its use
- State the processing steps that must take place before a completed insurance claim form can be sent to the insurance carrier
- Demonstrate use of the Medisoft billing program to enter and process claims.
Length of Training
This program is 115 hours in length offered online with live, bi-weekly teleconferences.
Classes starting Every Month!
$1600 includes Medisoft student version, textbook, online access to program, and course completion certificate.
CLICK HERE to register
Students with a need for financial assistance may contact Sallie Mae for a credit-based loan. CLICK HERE for additional information on Financial Assistance.
PLEASE CALL 713-221-8032 OR 800-201-1141
Page maintained by Applied Business & Technology Center
Last updated or reviewed on 8/29/11