Clinical Medical Assistant Training Program
As a Clinical Medical Assistant the student will be trained to help the physician carry out procedures, care for patients, perform basic lab tests and administer medications. The Clinical Medical Assistant works in a physician’s office or a clinic setting. This course combines classroom instruction of 134 hours (including 42 hours online training) and off-site externship of 160 hours to provide students with a comprehensive learning experience. (Total – 294 Hours).
Certificate of Completion will be awarded after successful completion of the course and externship. Graduates are also qualified for optional certification offered by the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT) and the National Healthcareer Association (NHA).
Minimum 18 years of age and high school completion or its equivalent. Students need competency in, or completion of a basic computer operations course. Students will be required to have access to the Internet, printing capabilities and an email address. Prior to placement in an externship, students will need to show proof of completion of CPR for the Healthcare Provider course, a health examination including TB testing and submission of a resume.
After successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Identify parts of the human body.
2. Describe the basic function of each body system.
3. Utilize medical terminology in written and spoken communications.
4. Define medical terminology found in medical records.
5. Define medical conditions, diseases, and disorders commonly treated.
6. Perform the procedures for rooming a patient.
7. Obtain the vital signs of a patient.
8. Perform basic wound care.
9. Demonstrate proper positioning and draping for patient procedures.
10. Demonstrate first aid for disorders of the musculoskeletal system.
11. Demonstrate the collection of specimens.
12. Locate information regarding medications.
13. Demonstrate the administration of oral and injectable medications.
14. Instruct patient in preventative health practices.
15. Assist physician with examinations.
16. Demonstrate minor specimen testing and recording of results.
17. EKG/ECG skills training instruction.
18. Demonstrate skill in goal-setting, organization, note-taking, and test-taking.
19. Complete prerequisites including physical exam, TB test, CPR, computer proficiency.
20. Use communication strategies associated with quality customer service.
21. Draft a resume that clearly communicates one’s value to an employer.
22. Contrast effective communication approaches.
23. Use listening, mirroring and parameter-setting in difficult conversations.
Length of Training
134 hours of instruction (includes 42 hours online) and 160 hours of offsite externship
March 25, 2013 - July 1, 2013 (Mondays and Wednesdays 6:00 pm - 9:30 pm)
CLASSES WILL TAKE PLACE AT
UH - CINCO RANCH CAMPUS
4242 South Mason Road Katy, TX 77450
$3095.00 (Includes instruction and course materials) ($2995 if registered on or before March 11, 2013)
CLICK HERE to register
Students with a need for financial assistance may contact Sallie Mae for a credit-based loan. CLICK HERE for additional information on Financial Assistance.
PLEASE CALL 713-221-8032 OR 800-201-1141
Page maintained by Applied Business & Technology Center
Last updated or reviewed on 8/16/12