Pharmacy Technician Certification Program
As a Pharmacy Technician you will help the pharmacist package or mix prescriptions,
maintain client records, refer clients to the pharmacist for counseling, assist with inventory control and purchasing, as well as collect payment and coordinate billing. This program includes 77-hours of classroom instruction, including skills practice, providing a comprehensive review and preparation for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination (PTCE) and other similar certification examinations.
Upon successful completion of the program graduates will receive a certificate of completion. Graduates will be eligible to apply for registration as a Pharmacy Technician in their state and be prepared to take the PTCE offered by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB).
Starting pay $13 – 20 per hour. Employment of Pharmacy Technicians is expected to grow faster than the average for all occupations. The increased number of middle-aged and elderly people will spur demand for pharmacy workers.
Minimum 18 years of age and high school completion or its equivalent. Students need competency in, or completion of a basic computer operations course. Students will be required to have access to the Internet, printing capabilities and an email address. A math and English pre-assessment will be administered during the first class meeting to assure student success.
At the end of the program the participant will be able to:
- Describe the role of the Pharmacy Technician.
- Assist the Pharmacist in serving patients.
- Assist the Pharmacist in collecting, organizing, and evaluating information for direct client care, medication use review, and departmental management.
- Receive and screen prescription/medication orders for completeness and authenticity.
- Prepare medications for distribution.
- Distribute medications.
- Compound a prescription/medication order.
- Assist the pharmacist in the identification of clients who desire/require counseling to optimize the use of medications, equipment, devices.
- Initiate, verify, collect payment for and initiate billing for pharmacy services or goods.
- Purchase pharmaceuticals, devices, and supplies according to an established plan.
- Control the inventory of medications, equipment, and devices according to an established plan.
- Assist the Pharmacist in monitoring the practice site and/or service area for compliance with state, federal and local laws, regulations, and professional standards.
- Maintain the pharmacy equipment and facilities.
- Complete a PTCB examination practice test.
Length of Training
77 hours of classroom instruction (Online homework is required weekly).
March 26 - June 6, 2013 (Tuesdays and Thursdays - 6:00 pm to 9:30 pm)
CLASSES WILL TAKE PLACE AT
UH - CLEAR LAKE CAMPUS
2700 Bay Area Boulevard Houston, TX 77058
$1199.00 (Includes instruction and course materials) ($1099 if registered on or before March 11, 2013)
CLICK HERE to register
Students with a need for financial assistance may contact Sallie Mae for a credit-based loan. CLICK HERE for additional information on Financial Assistance.
PLEASE CALL 713-221-8032 OR 800-201-1141
Page maintained by Applied Business & Technology Center
Last updated or reviewed on 8/16/12