Skip navigation

Veterans Services



Once your benefits have been approved, you must file a request for certification of your classes. The Department of Veterans Affairs grants education benefits for approved programs only.
Click here for a list of UH-Downtown approved programs


To receive your benefits each semester, you must submit:

You may request certification for more than one semester at a time. The VA will process requests up to 90 days in advance of a semester.

You MUST also verify your enrollment monthly to receive payments!

This verification can be done either by using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) application or by using an automated telephone system (IVR) at 1-877-823-2378 and follow the prompts.

Taking classes at another university:

If you plan to graduate from the University of Houston-Downtown, but would like to enroll in some classes at another college/university you must complete and submit a Parent Institution Letter Request along with a copy of your schedule from the other institution to Veterans Services. (Any courses that you enroll in at another college/university will be certified by that institution's Certifying Official).

Once your grades are made available, you must submit an official transcript to Veterans Services.

Dropping a class

If you wish to drop any of your classes, change your schedule, or withdraw completely, you are responsible for reporting your status change to Veterans Services. Veterans Services will report your status change to the VA and your benefits will be adjusted accordingly.


Educational Certification Flow Chart


Page maintained by SSEM

Last updated or reviewed on 11/21/13

   Click here to print this page

Find us on Facebook   Follow us on Twitter   Read Skyline   Join us on LinkedIn   News RSS   Events RSS